Wednesday, November 27, 2013

6. Shamanism?

It took me awhile to do this activity and to write it here. I've felt a bit under the weather today and have slept a lot - not wanting to push myself since tomorrow is turkey day and I want to be in a good, healthy mood with my family.
Immediately, the word Shaman brought to mind for me a medicine man. The old paintings and drawings you would see of tribal practices with a mysterious man with a variety of piercings and/or tattoos. I knew that the belief of nature magic and deities have a link to the old native religions found all over the world, but the word "shaman" never really connected with me until now.
The first thing that came to mind was the natural connection to nature. Like many people on similar paths of mine, nature has always been a factor in my life. Even as a child, I loved to be outside. Not only to just play, but to go into the woods (which were on my grandparent's property) and look at all the different types of nature. I was, literally, a tree hugger.
I've also had two near death experiences. At 16, I was hit by a car and, before the age of 17, had somehow contracted a deadly virus that nearly killed me. 16 was a very difficult year for me. But, there's good in everything. Getting hit by that car was how I met my best friend - and no, she wasn't the one that hit me.
More than anything, I'm more interested in the healer part of the shaman. Even in my future career, what I'm going to college for, I want to help people - it's what I know I've been put here to do.
When it comes to the madman, or madwoman rather, the thing that stuck out for me was getting lost. When there is too much going on and I don't have a place to center, I can get very confused and manic and it does take me awhile to reach back and set myself back into reality. I have improved on this, on being able to step back before things get to be too much, but it's something I think I'll struggle with for the rest of my life. It will always get better, but never be completely eradicated.
To anyone reading this in the states, I hope you have/have had a happy turkey day. To everyone else, just have a good day =)
Blessed be
~N

No comments:

Post a Comment