Saturday, November 23, 2013

2. The Power of Words... and a Cat.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get work done with a 17 week old kitten who wants to play in your lap? I do, every day! I don't like to make her go away because I have a strong connection with her, even though I've only had her for a couple of weeks, but it's so difficult to write with a kitten hugging your wrist! Not to mention, she never fails to come say hi when I'm doing work. Whether it be doing my YAAD, doing tarot, or even watching some spiritual stuff on Youtube - she always comes around to check it out. I thought I'd introduce her to you all, she refused to look at the camera, but I did get a good shot of why I named her Casper =)
It's upside down in this picture but, considering she's an almost all white cat, those markings look just like a little ghost face on the back of her head. Isn't it adorable?
Moving on to today's reading. I was given a list of words and the instructions were to think over how I felt about them, what I think they mean, and how do I think others who are not familiar with Wicca react to these words. The words were: Wicca, witchcraft, power, ritual, magic, occult, Pagan, spell and Earth-religion. 
I feel like I have a good understanding of these words and the context in which to use them. I've been studying for about a decade and thus have been very comfortable with these words for quite some time. When I came out of the broom closet and started practicing a year ago, I quickly adopted some of these words to describe me, most noticeably Pagan as - though I identified as Wiccan when I was 14 - my feelings have changed since.
People who aren't familiar with Wicca, or even Paganism as a whole, not always react harshly. Quite a few, including my best friend, are accepting of these words but are a bit confused to their meaning because, quite simply, they aren't Pagan themselves. The other side of the coin, and the most noted, are the people who react to these words with anger and fear. It's a sad fact that some try to avoid completely or lash out at which they don't understand. Especially when it comes to religion, it's difficult for some people to realize that their way is not the end all, be all, correct way and rather respecting that they are - for reasons I don't understand - scared out of their wits, angry to the point of violent, or sometimes even both.
As someone who has a high respect for other people's opinions, as long as they respect mine, and as a psychology major - I try not to judge people who judge me, but it can be very difficult. I also try to understand the other side to the fullest that I possibly can, but at the age of 22 I still fail to grasp the logic of hate.
One more thing. Last Thursday I wrote about the King of Swords, how he was the first card I picked in the three card spread about my finances - as well as the one I picked for the card of the day. Yesterday, it completely skipped my mind to pick a card, but I did this morning - guess who showed up?
The King of Swords AGAIN! Granted, I don't know a whole lot about tarot, but I know that this is important. I shuffle very well, and looking further into this card there has been some things that have come up that fall into place. I know you have to be cautious reading for yourself as you are biased with yourself, but I feel like I have a good hold as I've always been an objective person with the ability to step back and assess the situation and this... this just makes sense.
Namaste
~N

No comments:

Post a Comment